TW Discussion of Abusive Relationship
I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
- samiharayeda reblogged this from cerseisgoldencunt
- peregri likes this
- sodeceiving likes this
- faithfulfitness reblogged this from plannedparenthood
- faithfulfitness likes this
- holycatsitscat likes this
- finerthingsclubb likes this
- gwynnevita reblogged this from shesafreespirit
- shesafreespirit reblogged this from totallytan
- vanishinstardust likes this
- afewstrongbranches reblogged this from afewstrongbranches
- itscalledpledgeatire reblogged this from im-not-scar3d
- audioexistentialism reblogged this from manufacturedmonsters
- audioexistentialism likes this
- danielahooks reblogged this from manufacturedmonsters
- thenorwegianlion likes this
- thenorwegianlion reblogged this from manufacturedmonsters
- wildwolfsong likes this
- pigeon-maestro reblogged this from world--blue
- lions-hair reblogged this from manufacturedmonsters
- die-on-the-front-page likes this
- gina-nucci reblogged this from manufacturedmonsters
- totallytan reblogged this from sleek-black-wings
- sleek-black-wings reblogged this from manufacturedmonsters
- hashtag-lobstronomous reblogged this from amarawillcutyou
- cinnamonskribble reblogged this from manufacturedmonsters
- amarawillcutyou reblogged this from manufacturedmonsters
- wakemeupbeforeyougogogogogo reblogged this from manufacturedmonsters
- im-not-scar3d reblogged this from manufacturedmonsters
- chilllcat likes this
- manufacturedmonsters reblogged this from trillianknowswherehertowelsat
- entropy-enabler likes this
- zapdos likes this
- domia-abrwyrda reblogged this from arseniccupcakes
- agree015 likes this
- lovesavvylynn likes this
- s-n-o-s reblogged this from seanbeanisaredshirt
- s-n-o-s likes this
- forceitdownlosethetaste reblogged this from torrentialtears
- crazedadri likes this
- simmifluous likes this
- thisischloeumlauts likes this
- annissasdickwhiskers reblogged this from youstillhavehope
- 24hoursinaday reblogged this from curtainsofstars
- itranscendtoyou likes this
- law-and-hoarder likes this
- youstillhavehope reblogged this from seanbeanisaredshirt
- ruthrobeline reblogged this from plannedparenthood
- seanbeanisaredshirt reblogged this from plannedparenthood