TW Discussion of Abusive Relationship
I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
- nora-elisaray likes this
- mandabananas likes this
- benben-exo reblogged this from big-fat-sex-blog
- the-wrathful reblogged this from neoisnotanderson
- virgin-nymphette likes this
- elder-berries reblogged this from thisbirdbites
- there-are-faults-in-our-tsars likes this
- cecil-is-holding-a-cat likes this
- plantman47 reblogged this from thealienmademeslowdance
- kittycat99kmb reblogged this from chronic-genderbender
- enlightenyourselves reblogged this from upthewoolves
- lunarfusion likes this
- sixthhokage1 likes this
- sixthhokage1 reblogged this from spoopypsyches
- totallyawesomeperson67 likes this
- laura-is-not-cool likes this
- littlethingslovin reblogged this from thealienmademeslowdance
- somedudesmarrypals-getoverit reblogged this from thealienmademeslowdance
- ilikecatsdude reblogged this from thealienmademeslowdance
- the-ideaofasecondheart likes this
- dare2bacompanion reblogged this from thealienmademeslowdance
- goosekay reblogged this from thealienmademeslowdance
- thealienmademeslowdance reblogged this from heliolisk
- swiftlystealinyoman likes this
- andyboys likes this
- katielikespolkadots reblogged this from thedirtyoldgentleman
- imakoalapanda reblogged this from unfriendly--blackthottie
- imakoalapanda likes this
- the-dapper-tangerine reblogged this from heliolisk
- the-dapper-tangerine likes this
- mywaywardwholock likes this
- thisbirdbites reblogged this from insaneclone
- thisbirdbites likes this
- comeplayplaywithrayray likes this
- suhweetvagina reblogged this from insaneclone
- suhweetvagina likes this
- buy-some-shoes-and-get-over-it likes this
- zoccolas reblogged this from heliolisk
- ne0lution likes this
- helenasurvived reblogged this from insaneclone
- yerawizardsarry likes this
- hannibal-ate-bluebell reblogged this from rachelduncanspencil
- hannibal-ate-bluebell likes this
- justcatchmebaby reblogged this from insaneclone
- justcatchmebaby likes this
- thirteenturnipsaday likes this
- totallytootsie likes this
- upthewoolves reblogged this from insaneclone
- upthewoolves likes this
- rachelduncanspencil reblogged this from insaneclone