TW Discussion of Abusive Relationship
I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
- barefootdramaturg reblogged this from echo6979
- echo6979 reblogged this from bookish-but-corruptible
- rachelkimmy likes this
- surreptitious-rendezvous likes this
- etothelan reblogged this from cocaiineheart
- carrrotflowers likes this
- the-m0nst3rs-inside-of-me likes this
- isolated-anxiety likes this
- doubleengland reblogged this from soso-skinny
- doubleengland likes this
- damagedsoul68 reblogged this from learning-to-bebrave
- forevergoneandforeverlost likes this
- nofearqueerhere likes this
- estrogenicide reblogged this from thedoommerchant
- jasmineleila22 likes this
- kudzulady likes this
- letslovemili reblogged this from likeamillionlittlestarsinthesky
- xnkayys reblogged this from likeamillionlittlestarsinthesky
- mykalasuxx reblogged this from soso-skinny
- i-wanted-sam-as-a-url reblogged this from learning-to-bebrave
- thekinkysnowleopard reblogged this from enemig0s
- the-virginsuicides likes this
- taaaaylur reblogged this from cundition
- simplyskinnyme reblogged this from soso-skinny
- buried-deep-within likes this
- thewomanwhoforgot likes this
- shechiveson reblogged this from late-nite-eating
- thirdworldartocracy likes this
- likeamillionlittlestarsinthesky likes this
- likeamillionlittlestarsinthesky reblogged this from macklemormons
- learning-to-bebrave reblogged this from tarabellll
- learning-to-bebrave likes this
- tarabellll reblogged this from theandrewsjo
- tarabellll likes this
- squareular likes this
- pomegranaked likes this
- theknife01 likes this
- bennettmatthews likes this
- christophaux reblogged this from blushinglolita
- squid-vicious36 reblogged this from claireas
- squid-vicious36 likes this
- vodkuhh likes this
- coutureprincess225 reblogged this from perfect
- tu-sabes-quien-soy reblogged this from soso-skinny
- adaytoforget420 likes this
- gettyb likes this
- late-nite-eating reblogged this from alltimeyolow
- t-unnels likes this
- soporifictendencies likes this