TW Discussion of Abusive Relationship
I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
- sparklepantsyeah reblogged this from malbell
- yes-lisalisa2014 likes this
- riskebusiness likes this
- gettinitdaily likes this
- thelastunicornforever reblogged this from cimmonin
- thelastunicornforever likes this
- cimmonin reblogged this from ermcanunot
- havefunlaughlotsstayclassy likes this
- justt-henry reblogged this from ermcanunot
- ermcanunot reblogged this from infatuated--withyou
- kennedyalayne likes this
- amakamerie reblogged this from flowerstrange
- mwahahachoke reblogged this from millerballbreakers
- kriegswaffel likes this
- waywardiist likes this
- cohortcolt likes this
- runtilyourecorian reblogged this from becktasm
- lemonscientist reblogged this from theboredboi
- drink-juice-when-im-killing likes this
- kheirafghanistan likes this
- intentionaldiscontent reblogged this from sexistmorons
- cocaineisgoodforthesoul reblogged this from theboredboi
- dinosaursandsuperheros likes this
- lucyturtletalbot likes this
- eye-of-the-bear likes this
- theboredboi reblogged this from ainsleywrites
- killerrecords reblogged this from supernaturalredhead
- dayyy--dreaminggg reblogged this from wander-lust-world
- wander-lust-world reblogged this from supernaturalredhead
- supernaturalredhead reblogged this from femme-mermaid27
- supernaturalredhead likes this
- imadoctornot-a-torpedotechnician likes this
- drug--money likes this
- tomtakesthecake reblogged this from pansexualpunkass
- its--always--necessary likes this
- slutjunky likes this
- tendernessandtreasuresxo reblogged this from actualbanshee
- broken-records-forgotten-songs reblogged this from towriteloveonherfingertips
- towriteloveonherfingertips reblogged this from thekidzoo
- leciec reblogged this from theyellowbrickroad
- x-march-love-x likes this
- x-march-love-x reblogged this from actualbanshee
- chelseaisbeta likes this
- daenerysswagaryen reblogged this from stop-asklng
- modern-thrill reblogged this from yung-rayban-shawty
- e-q-u-i-t-a-t-e likes this
- alyssalenaex33 likes this
- spooninabag reblogged this from nikkipher
- galacticcooed likes this