TW Discussion of Abusive Relationship
I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
- cent-mille-autres-renards reblogged this from imguiltyofthis
- barrowqueenston reblogged this from dametaykeefe
- adafuckface reblogged this from michaelblume
- thepokeduck likes this
- itsjacobigotthis likes this
- itsjacobigotthis reblogged this from althor42
- imtotallymyself reblogged this from andreashettle
- inquisitivefeminist likes this
- daniel-r-h likes this
- chroniclesofrettek reblogged this from michaelblume
- ellenthefox reblogged this from andreashettle
- ellenthefox likes this
- lexi-sedai reblogged this from althor42
- moriment likes this
- althor42 reblogged this from michaelblume
- andreashettle reblogged this from clatterbane
- monsterrtruck likes this
- waywardhive reblogged this from michaelblume
- waywardhive likes this
- beth-matthews likes this
- nentuaby reblogged this from michaelblume
- thenkeepgoing likes this
- mrakcsr likes this
- mrakcsr reblogged this from ajax-daughter-of-telamon
- terpsikeraunos likes this
- ajax-daughter-of-telamon reblogged this from clatterbane
- gentlemantiger likes this
- sonata-green reblogged this from michaelblume
- blashimov likes this
- sonata-green likes this
- ajax-daughter-of-telamon likes this
- eccentric-opinion likes this
- gosh-thats-cute likes this
- soveliss24 likes this
- clatterbane reblogged this from michaelblume
- nextworldover reblogged this from michaelblume
- nextworldover likes this
- michaelblume reblogged this from feministpervert
- arachno-dactyly likes this
- sky-pallor reblogged this from enantiopure
- gloomy-babe likes this
- enantiopure reblogged this from 2bainzz
- srhcas likes this
- bananasaurus-rex reblogged this from trustfunder
- my-emotional-rollercoaster reblogged this from perfect
- naughty-nerdy-nicole likes this
- yellosubbub likes this
- xvoyage34x reblogged this from natsusakura